Sep 28, 2010

Spinning again

To quote Knitting Dragonflies, "Everytime I start spinning again, I wonder at how much I enjoy it, and why did I stop." My sentiments exactly! Especially since I bought this nifty little spindle at the Quilt Museum in PA. It is so light and spins a really fine yarn. One I could actually ply! This is a big deal for me. I usually spin singles. The woman in the store told me, in a low conspiratorial voice, that I was getting it cheap at $15. Like it was some sort of magic little spindle. And it is :)

This isn't a very good picture, but you can sort of see how fine I'm getting it. I'll have to review plying, as I haven't done it in a while.

Also started measuring the warp for more rugs. I'm going to warp the loom for two smaller rugs this time. One will be plain twill, black, with a band of Kirschbaum's #4 pattern (Marguerite Davison, p. 133) running in the middle. The pattern will be white and black. It should sort of have a beatnik, Grecian urn feel to it, if you can picture that. The second rug on the warp...not sure yet.

4 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Beautiful little spindle! You are spinning a lovely single-the wool roving looks delicious! What kind is it?!

Terry said...

Very even single. My spindle spinnig is pretty lumpy. Nice looking spindle and it seems your enjoying getting aquinted.

The roving looks great is it merino?

Enjoy the rythum of spinnig I always do. Very relaxing.

have a good week

Spinning Out of Control said...

Yes - it is Merino. I got it when I was at the Mannings. I've been having fun with Abby Franquemont's book, Respect the Spindle.

knittingdragonflies said...

Yay, glad to hear your spinning! That looks like a great little spindle, and a wonderful price! It makes me want to get a spindle out! Glad to have gotten you going!!
Some woven rugs sound warm and beautiful for floors this winter!
Vicki