Feb 1, 2012

The rug for my mom is done. Finished at 22" x 35 ". I tried to puff up the yarn a little with some hot water finishing, and it worked a bit. But as I was washing it, I noticed a pretty strong smell. I looked at the dog thinking, maybe he got into last nights chili... but it turned out to be the yarn. Very sheepy smell. More like very sheepy pen smell. Weird. Baaaa!

So I decided to play with color. Using what's left of the warp that's still on the loom, I decided to do a wall hanging. Using a different yarn this time. I got it from the Mannings a while back and haven't used it yet. It's a 3 ply wool and sort of coarse. I think it's called Milltop or something like that. I'll have to call them and ask.


I measured out 120 yds. per color so I'll see how far I get with that. Originally this was going to be black, grey and white. Then I thought grey, brown and white (to sort of play with some neutral colors and give my retinas a break). Then I accidentally layed some blue/green yarn next to some brown and grey I'd layed out and loved the combination. So into the dye pot it all went. (And yes, I did wonder if the grey would dull the other colors but I'm going for it anyway.)


This yarn dyed up really nicely and very easy. Came out very even.




And this is how the colors are working together so far. Another krokbragd design. I kind of like it.




Uh oh...looks like someone went to the groomer's. Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!!

3 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Wow, it turned out to be strikingly beautiful!!!! The new one is going to be stunning, too-you are an amazing weaver!!!

Spinning Out of Control said...

Thank you :)

Benita said...

That is one disgruntled-looking cat.