Mar 29, 2012

Late March

While eating eggs the other morning, I decided it was time to break out the rigid heddle loom. This is some warp and weft sample choices to see how they might work together. The warp is assorted cotton yarns. The weft is this incredibly soft acrylic yarn (Bernat Softee Baby). Scarves should be soft on the neck...end of story. I'm also throwing a gold sparkle crochet cotton into the weft mix. All of the yarns are from my stash. There's no real rhyme or reason to placement of warp colors. I just sort of shut my brain off (not real hard for me to do) and let go.


Sunny side up scarf!




This is a sample piece that I'm weaving on the big loom. The pattern is from Marguerite Porter Davison's book... the triple draught bird's eye. This is very dainty weaving for me. I'm used to doing big hunking rugs. But I'm having fun with it.

6 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Very cool projects on the looms! The finer yarns are a nice change and have their own charm. Enjoy!

knittingdragonflies said...

OMGosh this is so beautiful! Wow! I'm in awe, it makes me want to weave!
Vicki

bspinner said...

How I love the colors in your "sunny side up" scarf. The color placement is perfect even if you didn't have any rhyme or reason.

Michelle Myers said...

I really need to buckle down and figure out my rigid heddle loom. I think part of my problem is that I'm useless without a pattern, and the rigid heddle kind of makes you figure it out on your own.

Spinning Out of Control said...

@ Michelle (in case email didn't go through) I'm sending you a link to a really good book: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Weaving-Beautiful-Fabrics-Simple/dp/1600590985

Your library may have it. The book has ideas for really pretty yet non-complicated weave pieces. Plus it's just a pretty book :) Basically with the right combination of colors in your warp and weft you can produce really lovely and simple pieces.

Judy said...

I like the colors that you've chosen-so cheery for spring! The bird's eye piece looks wonderful. It's one of the classic weaving designs that's great to see.