Apr 11, 2012

Moving day, oh my

Well here it is. My new weaving room.... got the hard way....

Stress levels were way up last weekend. My mother has been in extreme pain with spinal stenosis. I had to go 2 hours up the road to take her to doctors, clean house, get groceries. I would have moved her down by me a long time ago but she comes with baggage...my brother. He is trouble that I can't even go into in writing. Let's just say that there is a "whole lotta dysfunction goin' on". So I got things settled there as best I could and headed home.


When I got home, the girls were moving to new apartments; my oldest moving in with her boyfriend and my youngest moving into the very cool 1940's apartment that her sister has vacated. She is very excited but very frightened too.


So after hearing my poor mother cry in pain, my oldest daughter crying with stress, the younger one having a meltdown, feeling their stress, empty nest syndrome and sinus problems ... I wasn't exactly with it. And when I should have waited a week and let things settle down, I decided to move my loom into the now spare bedroom.


It's a Kessenich. It folds. But you have to keep an eye on the beater...which I already knew, but because, like I said, I was out of it, forgot. We folded the loom and the beater swung forward and hit the ground, snapping completely off on both sides in literally the blink of an eye! And that's when I had my meltdown. I sat on the floor, crying, holding my broken beater.


So, my husband shook me and slapped me a few times (kidding) and said don't cry, he'd fix it. And he did. He got some heavy duty wood glue and clamps at HD, and because it was a totally clean break, was able to glue and clamp. I emailed the wonderful folks at Kessenich and they said that is what they would have told us to do. But, just know that they can replace broken beaters. I love the folks at Kessenich. They are the nicest people and the best looms. I'll never own anything but.


So now I gotta stop my cryin' and get weavin' :)

4 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Sometimes life comes at you from every direction....glad the happy ending is you get to do some amazing weaving! Here's to some peace and quiet for you!

Valerie said...

Oh boy do I hear you! We must have been in the same energy zone this week.

Those Kessenich looms are heavy. I hope no stairs were involved. Ann and Bruce are good people. Ann is the current president of Michigan League of Handweavers.

Hope you can take a deep breath and enjoy your new weaving space.

Judy said...

Oh, I would have sat down and cried to after the day that you had. Life just throws challenges at you sometimes and it seems to come in batches instead of one at a time. I'm so glad that you were able to fix your loom and that you have a new room for weaving.

bspinner said...

I feel your pain. Not my mom but my husbands. Daughter who decided to leave her husband and move in with us and I could go on and on but why bother everyone has problems. I'm so happy you got your beater fixed!