I was having a bit of trouble with them at first in that I was either pulling the clasped bit too far over or not far enough. It takes some practice, but eventually I got the gist of it. Not that you could tell from this picture. You can see where I jacked it up in the black and white verticle stripes to the right.
And here I've finally made it to the shaft switching part of the Collingwood DVD. Yeah, I know, mine looks nothing like his. And the colors are hideous but I figure it's a sampler...let me use up some unwanted yarns. The black areas just below where the red and green starts were done with clasped wefts. I like the way the little tiny blocks came out in the bigger red and green middle blocks, which I did by simply switching one shaft in each block unit. This gave me an idea for a design.
I'm now trying to figure the whole design thing out, like how to set up the block units, etc. I've drawn a rough draft out on graph paper of the design I've got in my head, but I have to figure out how to make the warp and lifts do what I want.
Here is a closer picture of the constrictor knots. You color code them so you know whether you're tying the floating warp to shaft 3 or shaft 4. Of course I got my colors backward, but it's ok. This is amazing. You can also read about this method in The Techniques of Rug Weaving, P. Collingwood, ch. 8.
Just a couple of pics for fun. This is a small tapestry I did a while back. It's hanging in my office at work.
Here is one of the orchids I tied in my backyard tree about a year ago. It has finally bloomed. I read in an article that orchids love to be in trees and being as I live in a place where it doesn't get cold very often, it's ok to just leave them out in the treetops and visit them a few times a week. I want them to be happy :)
And here is young Mr. Levon, trying to look cute so I don't toss him out of the loom room on his butt. He just won't leave things alone. My new nick name for my loom is the Kitty Guillotine.